[CentOS] Win2000 / Win2003 ADS dnsHostName and servicePrincipalName

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 22:47:02 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 4:50 PM, David Miller <dmiller at ccim.us> wrote:

> We've had good luck with this approach:
> http://blog.scottlowe.org/2007/01/15/linux-ad-integration-version-4/
>
> Basically using the Windows 2003 R2 schema extensions (as opposed to SFU)
> and Identity Management for Unix mmc.
>

> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 4:17 PM, BlackHand <
> yonsy at blackhandchronicles.homeip.net> wrote:
>
>> nate wrote:
>>
>>> Rob Townley wrote:
>>>
>>>  Over the weekend i gave up on CentOS and tried Fedora because Fedora
>>>>

>>> Rebuild the samba src rpms on CentOS?
>>>
>>> I gave up on integrating windows+(insert any OS here) integration years
>>> ago,
>>> not worth the headaches.
>>>

>> less headaches
>>
>> use Services For Unix in your AD.
>>
>> if you need winbind, use the samba rpms from Sernet.
>>
>> http://enterprisesamba.org/
>>
>> almost all my nightmares with integrations with AD+winbind was resolved
>> with this ones.
>>
>> --
>> Black Hand

i forgot about EnterpriseSamba - thanks for the link.  Maybe i wont compile
on CentOS because EnterpriseSamba has a repository now - *
http://ftp.sernet.de *for Yum, debs, and YaST.   Fedora seems to be working
fairly well, but i won't really trust it until i have put it thru about 2
months of use.

Scott Lowe also has an article on Win2003R1.  (A license to Win2003R1 does
not give you a license to Win2003R2 - It has to be purchased.)  There are so
many more comments and user experiences on his blog now - thanks for the
link.