[CentOS] wireless laptop configuration

Sorin@Gmail sorin.srbu at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 09:04:49 UTC 2008

Karanbir Singh <> scribbled on Thursday, August 14, 2008 2:47 PM:

> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless

Trying to learn wifi netwroking with linux, and CentOS v5.2 in particular.
Following the above howto helped a bit on the way, but I'm nowhere near getting
the wifi-card to connect.

I've installed madwifi, ndiswrapper, dkms and whatnot in order to get this
working, but still it's a no go. Centos does see the card in
Administration/Network and the wireless network thing is visible in Network
manager, but when I try connect or create a new connection to my wlan it just
times out or says it couldn't connect for some reason. The wlan I'm trying to
connect to is WPA2-PSK using AES.

I'm using a 3Com 3CRWE154G72 IIRC, which according to the hwconf's using the
prism54 driver/firmware/whatever.

Would I maybe be better off reinstalling the whole shebang and have the
wifi-card inserted from start in order for the centos installer to see it
properly from the beginning?

The experimental machine I use is not critical in any way. Only gotcha' is that
it only has a CD-drive so I have to shuffle discs should I do a complete
reinstall. 8-)

Thx in advance for any advice.