[CentOS] wireless laptop configuration

Sorin Srbu sorin.srbu at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 17:13:26 UTC 2008

From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf
Of Toshaan Bharvani
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 4:24 PM
To: centos at centos.org
Subject: Re: [CentOS] wireless laptop configuration

Sorin Srbu wrote:

From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf
Of Toshaan Bharvani
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:42 PM
To: centos at centos.org

Steve Huff wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2008, at 5:04 AM, Sorin at Gmail wrote:
>
>> I'm using a 3Com 3CRWE154G72 IIRC, which according to the hwconf's using
the
>> prism54 driver/firmware/whatever.
>>
>> Would I maybe be better off reinstalling the whole shebang and have the
>> wifi-card inserted from start in order for the centos installer to
>> see it
>> properly from the beginning?
>

> before you do that, open a terminal, become root, and run
> /usr/sbin/kudzu (while the wireless card is installed). that's the
> program that does hardware detection; it may be able to sort out your
> issue.
>
> -steve

or if kudzu for some reason doesn't cooperate (which is always on my system)
become root
run : /sbin/modprobe prism54
run : dmesg | tail
and read whether it just says it has loaded the module (single line) or
detected will output a wlanX statement and you are in business

Isn't it implied that since "prism54" is listed in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf for
the wifi-card that the module has been loaded already? Or is this some of the
magical stuff that sometimes doesn't happen for whatever reason? 8-)

/etc/sysconfig/hwconf is the file kudzu creates when of all detected hardware
at startup and it related this hardware with drivers in the kernel
but certain drivers are modules in the kernel, wich need to be loaded manually
or later when the system is already running
this can be done by method 1 explained here above or adding them in
/etc/modprobe.conf which makes it load the modules at startup
you will need to add the line (if it is not yet there) :
alias wlan0 prism54
you can check whether the module is loaded with : /sbin/lsmod | grep prism54

This is how far I got with the above hints. For some reason I don't have a
wlan0, but instead a eth0. I did create an alias in Network Manager for eth0 >
wlan0. Then I ran the below modprobe command according to the below.

"[root at centos-v5-x86 ~]# /sbin/modprobe prism54

[root at centos-v5-x86 ~]# dmesg|tail

eth0: resetting device...

eth0: uploading firmware...

prism54: request_firmware() failed for 'isl3890'

eth0: could not upload firmware ('isl3890')

eth0: islpci_reset: failure

eth0: resetting device...

eth0: uploading firmware...

prism54: request_firmware() failed for 'isl3890'

eth0: could not upload firmware ('isl3890')

eth0: islpci_reset: failure

[root at centos-v5-x86 ~]#"

"When I try to activate wlan0, I get this message:

Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :

    SET failed on device eth0 ; Input/output error.

Determining IP information for eth0...SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory

SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory

 failed."

In /etc/modprobe.conf I've added the line "alias wlan0 prism54".

What's more, I went to the prism54.org site and found a firmware, downloaded
it and as per instructed on the site, renamed the .arm-file to isl3890 and put
it in /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware.

Upon restarting and activating wlan0 I still get the above SIOC-error.

I have a hunch this might actually work if I put the isl3890-file in the
correct place. Not sure /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware *is* actually right, as I
had to create the hotplugs and firmware-folders.

Any hints on this guys?

TIA.