[CentOS] USB drive detected, but nothing gets mounted.

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 17:31:16 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Dan Halbert <halbert at everyzing.com> wrote:
> MHR wrote:
>>
>> I have a brand new, unaltered (as yet) 4Gb USB flash drive from Micro
>> Center that does not get automounted when I plug it into my 5.2
>> desktop (home or work).
>
> The 1GB flash drive I got from Micro Center a while ago had was a U3 drive,
> so it mounts as both a CD-ROM and a R/W drive. I'm not sure if that's the
> problem here. What happens if you try it on Windows? You can get (Windows)
> software to turn off the U3 stuff from http://www.u3.com.

No U3 issues.  On Windows it shows up as an unlabeled removable drive.
 I put a label on it, then took it back to my CentOS desktop and
voila!  Automounted and ready to go.

So, is this a bug in the automounter?  Is there a reason why a
removable (flash) drive MUST have a label for the automounter to see
it?  This doesn't happen with flash memory cards (compact flash, SD),
just USB flash (disk) drives.  Seems funky....

mhr