RE: [CentOS] perl

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Thu Aug 21 13:50:58 UTC 2008

John Thomas wrote:
> Mad Unix wrote:
> > Am trying to install perl module "File::Find", but not able it gave
> > the following
> >
> > cpan[1]> install File::Find
> <snip>
>
> I made the mistake of trying to use cpan when I was young.  I am now
> older and wiser and have read things like:
> http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/SourceInstalls?highlight=(cpan)

I attempted this once while building a new machine.  It was amazing how
fast I got bogged down in dependencies.  Almost none of the modules that
I needed were available from the repos and as soon as I packaged up one
and tried to install it, I found I needed 3 more for dependencies (which
also weren't available).

I finally gave up trying to install Perl modules via Yum/rpm.  I now use
CPAN to install Perl packages and Yum for everything else.  I find this
works well for me and saves an incredible amount of time.

If someone would come up with a way to automate the dependency
resolution so that I could grab and package everything at once, then I
would do it, but I just don't have time to go through the download,
package, install, find dependencies, download, package, install, ...
process.  Apparently, this is on the wishlist for cpan2rpm, but is not
implemented yet.

--
Bowie