[CentOS] Re: Support policy CentOS 5

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Aug 21 17:15:34 UTC 2008

on 8-21-2008 9:24 AM Patrick Derwael spake the following:
> "Patrick Derwael" <patrick at derwael.be>
> writes:
>>  Can someone tell me what the exact CentOS policy for end-of-life is
>>  for 5.0?
>
> As far as I know, 5.0 itself is pretty much EOL; updates are not being
> released for it.  5, on the other hand, won't be EOL for quite a few
> years.
>
> <snip>
>
> I imagine that Parallel Pro will probably work on 5.2.  5.2 isn't really
> a new release of CentOS, but is rather an update set to CentOS 5.  Think
> of it as CentOS 5 Service Pack 2, if you will.  The vast majority of it
> (some desktop apps, such as Firefox, excluded) should be 100%
> binary-compatible with 5.0.
>
> Running 5.0 is not recommended, as you will not have security support.
> If keeping as close to 5.0 as possible is desired, you could probably
> install 5.0 and then only install the security-related updates.
>
> - Michael
>
> */[Patrick Derwael] /*
>
> Michael,
> The  point is that Parallel supports exactly CentOS 4.4 and 5.0, Fedora
> 4 and 6 and RHEL 4ES and 5ES.
> I’m a bit stuck here!
>
> As far as my other systems are concerned, (pen testing) I will reinstall
> them under Centos 5.2 in the coming weeks
>
> Thanks!
Do you have a link to this application's website? Maybe we could determine why
it might be stuck to a limited set of OS releases. If a software can't keep up
with a limited subset of OS updates, maybe they are concerned more with costs
then security.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and