[CentOS] Growing RAID5 on CentOS 4.6

Ross S. W. Walker RWalker at medallion.com
Fri Aug 22 19:05:30 UTC 2008

Stephen Harris wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 02:50:29PM -0400, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> > It would probably be faster to backup, rebuild and restore too...
>
> The whole reason I need to extend like this is because I
> don't have any
> easy way of backing up 1.3Tbytes of data.
>
> While the rebuild is happening the existing volume is still available.
>
> > Besides saying it is available in the latest kernels is like saying
> > it's available in another OS... That's nice, but does nobody here
> > any good.
>
> Well... there's the potential for me to build a kernel with the latest
> vanilla sources, temporarily boot into that, extend the array and then
> boot back to a supported kernel afterwards...  Maybe!

Or you could just boot from a LiveCD of a distro that was this and
run a conversion there, it would make it unavailable during the
conversion though.

If the array was part of a LVM VG, you could create another 4 drive
array and add it to the VG and extend the LVs that way, or do a
pvmove and move everything from the old array to the new.

-Ross