[CentOS] Yum corrupting RPMs

Tom Lanyon tom at netspot.com.au
Mon Aug 25 02:40:25 UTC 2008

On 25/08/2008, at 10:54 AM, Tom Lanyon wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Trying to upgrade someone's workstation here to 5.2 (was installed
> from a 5.0 DVD I think).
>
> The RPMs on our internal mirror are in-tact and pass a 'rpm --
> checksig' test, yet when I run a 'yum upgrade' a large portion of
> them are corrupted and fail the GPG check.
>
> This seems to be isolated to yum, as downloading the RPM directly
> via FTP with wget or lftpget provides an RPM that *does* pass the
> GPG check.
>
> I have upgraded key packages to the latest version (eg. yum upgrade
> 'yum*') and tried again to no avail.
>
> Anyone seen this before?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

There's no proxy server in between these machines; nothing seems to
corrupt the download when downloading manually via FTP.

Also, yum seems to use the python URLGrabber module to download its
RPMs. I just wrote a quick python test script to download some
problematic RPMs using the URLGrabber module and they also passed the
RPM GPG check!

Yum is doing something crazy internally with the RPMs its downloading
into memory, I think.