[CentOS] OT - Offline uncorrectable sectors

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Tue Aug 26 12:05:21 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 10:38 +0200, Lorenzo Quatrini wrote:
> <snip>

> Also I finally noticed that badblocs has a non-distructive read-write mode (the
> man page is outdated and doesn't mention that) which can be used routinely (say
> once at month) to force a check of the whole disk.

>From "man badblocks":

-n     Use non-destructive read-write mode.  By  default  only  a  non-
       destructive  read-only  test  is  done.  This option must not be
       combined with the -w option, as they are mutually exclusive.

Note the phrase beginning with "By default only...". I'll admit it could
be more clearly stated.

--
Bill