[CentOS] OT: Port Scan

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 21:52:30 UTC 2008

Lanny Marcus wrote:

>>> I just did a port scan on one of my web sites. Shared Hosting. Looking
>>> at ports 1863, 3000 and 3001. Are those ports normally open or
>>> something I should file a support ticket about? TIA!
>>>
>>> Port State Service
>>> 21 open ftp
>>> 22 open ssh
>>> 25 open smtp
>>> 80 open http
>>> 110 open pop3
>>> 143 open imap
>>> 443 open https
>>> 993 open imaps
>>> 995 open pop3s
>>> 1863 open msnp
>>> 3000 open hbci
>>> 3001 open redwood-broker
>>> 3306 open mysql
>>> 5190 open aol
>>> 5432 open postgres
>>
>> Ports are 'open' when you start programs that listen on them.  lsof should
>> tell you what those programs are.
>
> Les, I wondered why they have those ports open. 1863 is MSN Messenger.
> 3000 is RemoteWare Client and 3001 is Redwood Broker.
> Lanny

Port usage is fairly arbitrary.  That is, you can configure most
programs to listen on non-standard ports so the actual activity may have
nothing to do with the registered name for the port.  If you don't have
access to find the program using the port you should ask about it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com