[CentOS] Centos 5.2, Firefox 3, and IPv6

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 23:55:34 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:15 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com>wrote:

> Craig White wrote:

>>> Name is coded in /etc/hosts
>>>
>>> Of course the fqdn I am using does NOT follow 'standard' TLDs, but it
>>> should NOT be masking that, or would that be a 'security' feature?
>>>

>> ----
>> I have no clue what you are talking about being coded in /etc/hosts...
>>
>> you can check DNS if it returns ipV6 addresses for hosts or if there are
>> snags/delays in trying to resolve names from command line
>>
> p3490.htt is in my /etc/hosts file as something like:
>
> 2701:24:2:1:0:1:2:3   p3490.htt
>
> I can 'ping6 -n p3490.htt'
>
> But putting a url of http//p3490.htt does not work....

DNS can be real slow when IPv6 is enabled.  For instance the following
firefox delta would speed up firefox on IPv4 connections.  Maybe you need to
turn it on?

Mr Scsi to Omaha
show details Aug 25 (2 days ago)

You may have already found this, but it helped when I had the same problem.

In firefox type in about:config,
filter for 'ipv6' you should have an entry for network.dns.disableIPv6
right click on it and 'toggle' it to a true value,
restart firefox and see if it helps.