[CentOS] nsswitch.conf, ldap, local groups problem

Mark Hennessy mark at hennessy.cx
Wed Aug 27 21:35:56 UTC 2008

Quoting Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>:

> On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 17:07 -0400, Mark Hennessy wrote:
>> Quoting Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>:

>> /sbin/udevd -d

>> > ----
>> > you shouldn't need to restart but if you can't login as root, you
>> > probably still have something messed up in /etc/nsswitch.conf or may
>> > have messed up /etc/passwd | /etc/shadow
>> >
>> > can you login as a user and su - to root?
>> >
>> > if not, it probably would be best to boot to runlevel 1 and
>> > edit /etc/nsswitch.conf so it has this...
>> >
>> > passwd:     files ldap
>> > shadow:     files ldap
>> > group:      files ldap
>> >
>> > and remove the NOTFOUND entries
>>
>> Yes, done.
>> Without networking, still the login failure trouble.
>>
>> With networking, no trouble at all, but with those timeouts of 30
>> seconds and without those changes to nsswitch.conf, it takes a while
>> for the first root login to succeed even though it is using local auth.
> ----
> do you have this line in /etc/pam.d/system-auth
>
> account     sufficient    pam_localuser.so
>
> ???
>
> What does your /etc/pam.d/system-auth look like?
my /etc/pam.d/system-auth:
#%PAM-1.0
# This file is auto-generated.
auth        required      pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    pam_unix.so nullok try_first_pass
auth        requisite     pam_succeed_if.so uid >= 500 quiet
auth        sufficient    pam_ldap.so use_first_pass debug
auth        required      pam_deny.so

account     required      pam_unix.so broken_shadow
account     sufficient    pam_succeed_if.so uid < 500 quiet
account     [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore] pam_ldap.so
account     required      pam_permit.so

password    requisite     pam_cracklib.so try_first_pass retry=3
password    sufficient    pam_unix.so md5 shadow nullok try_first_pass
use_authtok
password    sufficient    pam_ldap.so use_authtok debug
password    required      pam_deny.so

session     optional      pam_keyinit.so revoke
session     required      pam_limits.so
session     [success=1 default=ignore] pam_succeed_if.so service in
crond quiet use_uid
session     required      pam_unix.so
session     optional      pam_ldap.so debug
session     required      pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel umask=0022

===
I added

account     sufficient    pam_localuser.so

right before pam_ldap in the account section and tried again with the
same procedure (turn off networking (chkconfig --levels 2345 network
off), reboot).

Same result, login dies and gets restarted.

login: root
Password:

login: