[CentOS] Strategy for using CentOS on laptops in an NIS environment

Alfred von Campe

alfred at von-campe.com
Thu Aug 28 00:45:05 UTC 2008

We use NIS (ypbind) and Kerberos at work for all our Linux and Unix
systems.  Home directories are mounted via autofs from an NIS map.
Everything works just fine as long as all network resources are
available (however, things turn ugly when the NIS servers are not
reachable).  Some users also want to start using laptops and bring
them home or on trips to continue working while not at the office.
Of course, their home directories won't be available and neither will
other network resources.

Creating local accounts with the same UIDs and local home directories
solves most of the problems.  However, I can't create a local account
with useradd while ypbind is running because it complains that that
account already exists.  Is there a better way to create a local
account then "service ypbind stop; useradd...; service ypbind
start"?  What are other strategies that you use to deal with off-
network use in an NIS environment?

Alfred