[CentOS] Unable to install CentOS 5.2 on New HP Intel Core 2 Quad

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 02:59:26 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 5:23 PM, Spiro Harvey, Knossos Networks Ltd <
spiro at knossos.net.nz> wrote:

>> They stop on kernel startup when trying to boot the CentOS 5.2 boot CD.
>> It is during ACPI.
>> Fedora 10 Live will not but up either.
>> I am using Fedora 9 from Live and DVD Install to teach a fall class and
it
>> works fine.
>
> Are the CentOS and fed 10 DVDs of a similar type, and different to the DVD
you used with fed 9?

> Or is your CentOS on CDs?
>
> A common problem I have is that some DVD drives really don't like some
brands of disc. Some have issues with DVD-R's, some have issues with
DVD+R's, some seem to be completely random.

> ymmv, but if the failing discs are the same brand, it's probably your
cheapest quickest solution to reburn on a different brand and see if that
helps.

> --
> Spiro Harvey                  Knossos Networks Ltd
> 021-295-1923                    www.knossos.net.nz

i was very disappointed to find these new machines that don't boot Linux
easily.  i have to wonder if HP received rebates from M$ by making it
difficult to boot Linux on these machines.  These machines have to be noob
proof.  $300.00 less expensive than the same CPU and intel chipset as Dell.

To boot off of a knoppix disc use the boot option *knoppix acpi=off*.
For CentOS, use *linux pci=noacpi,nommconf*.

On HP Compaq Business Desktop Small Form Factor.
dc7800 Core 2 DUO e8400  @ 3.00GhZ
BIOS Version: Hewlett-Packard 786F1 v01.24 3/18/2008.
Mfr# KA607UT#ABA
UPC/EAN# 884420101468
HP Compaq Business Desktop dc7800 - SFF - 1 x Core 2 Duo E8400 / 3 GHz - RAM
2 GB - HDD 1 x 160 GB - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM - GMA 3100