[CentOS] yum provides on centos 5.2

Steve Tindall tindall.satwth at brandxmail.com
Thu Aug 28 04:51:36 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 13:50 +1200, Spiro Harvey, Knossos Networks Ltd
wrote:

> > Include the path:
>
> Doesn't that defeat the purpose? My favourite use of the "whatprovides"
> feature of yum is could find things that aren't on my system. I'd prefer
> not to go on a wild path chase. :)
>
> This looks like a bug to me.
>

> On CentOS 5.1 (yum 3.0.5):
>
> # yum provides uname | awk '/i386|noarch/ {print $1}'
> uucp.i386
> coreutils.i386
>

> on CentOS 5.2 (yum 3.2.8), No Matches found

That's not a bug, that's a “feature”. :-D

Historically, “yum provides” dumped the kitchen sink on you and you had
to wade through the debris to find what you wanted.

Looks like the new “feature” went a bit too far the other way.

Steve