[CentOS] Problem with gnome with file type recognition.

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 18:26:57 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 3:21 AM, ArcosCom Linux User <linux at arcoscom.com> wrote:

> Do anyone know how to solve this? Could be any system component that
> wasn't working fine? (as any daemon, or the DVD reader) Anyone know how to
> test my DVD writer/reader or any system/gnome components that could be
> missconfigured or not working?

Without knowing any more about this situation (hardware specifics,
details on the DVDs, ageds, file sizes, etc.), I usually follow these
general rules:

1) Burn the DVDs slower than their maximum rated speed.  The more
important the data, the slower the burn, but usually not below 4x.

2) Verify the DVDs while/after burning in the burner AND also by
reading them in a different brand and model DVD reader (or burner).
If it's a video DVD, also play it in a commercial DVD player.

You can test the DVDs and the burner(s) this way by using different
brands of DVDs (if some fail), etc.  I've also had DVDs go bad, which
is really annoying, but it's rare and hasn't happened yet on any
critical backup DVDs.

Without more information as I said above, that's about all I could tell you.

HTH.

mhr