[CentOS] Re: Curmudgeoning (was Re: Problems with writing Dual Layer DVD)

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Aug 29 00:47:31 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 05:35:28PM -0700, MHR wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 5:27 PM, Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com> wrote:
> >
> > I still have a Tandy 4000, 386-16 no cache, that is used occassionally to
> > program EPROMS.  This same machine ran Xenix for years before being abused
> > by installing DR-DOS on it.
> >
> > I have a Radio Shack Model 100, the first laptop, in the closet beside an
> > HP-97 programmable calculator.
> >

> Well, all I have that foes back that far is a 2nd gen IBM PC (the 64k
> m/b) that would probably work if I knew where any of my 360k MS-DOS
> floppies were.
>
> Wait, I have a Pascal Microengine in the garage that I never did get
> to boot!  You know, the ones that ran on the 8" floppies, like the old
> Teraks we used at UCSD?
>
> Never mind - too modern (vintage 1978-79)....

I've still got the first computer I ever bought (a lot newer than the first
one I ever used), a screamin' 10 Mhz XT clone with 8087 too! Last year
when I fired it up it still worked, though the hard drive had bitten
the dust.

And when my wife threatened, some years back, to throw out my boxes of
eight inch floppies, I took 'em to work and stuck 'em under my desk for
safekeeping. I swear, one of these days I'm going to find a 8" drive
for them so I can read 'em in. then I can find one of those pdp-11
emulators and run RT-11 and some ancient Unix too!

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ------------------------ ----
                    Do you not know? Have you not heard?