Curmudgeoning (was Re: [CentOS] Problems with writing Dual Layer DVD)

Sun Aug 31 17:16:18 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 4:40 PM, MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 2:29 PM, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b at dd-b.net> wrote:
>>
>> I believe the drives in my case were 1311's.  Or else 1310, but I think
>> that was the controller.  1403 printer, of course, and 1402 reader/punch.
>> Reading cards with copper brushes at 800 cards per minute.
>>

> Well, I'm not as aged and decrepit as you and Bill, but I, too,
> remember card punches, rapid boot drums, and file systems that took
> seven or eight 14" removable disk cabinets that were about three times
> the size of today's PCs each and held I don't remember how much data.
> I took my first programming class in Fortran V with card punches and
> printouts on a CDC 6600 mainframe, in 1974....

OK Mark. Watch out! Aged and decrepit?    :-)   We are not as young as
you and Jim
and many others here. I remember an IBM 7090 on an airline reservation
system and
after that the IBM 360 Model 65 with Large Core Storage (I forget how
much, probably
very little, compared to my  Desktop) seemed like something very
powerful. Imagine
the power consumption of some of the models that have been mentioned
in this thread,
and, their cooling requirements......