[CentOS] Using CentOS 5 as server; best way to setup NFSv4?

Sat Aug 2 00:28:09 UTC 2008
Ryan Dunn <oryandunn.ml at gmail.com>

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 8:22 PM, Timothy Selivanow <
timothy.selivanow at virtualxistenz.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 20:04 -0400, Ryan Dunn wrote:

> If you have nscd (Name Services Caching Daemon) enabled, yes.  However,
> that will only cache the UID/GID lookups, and not authentication.  If
> you are using local authentication, then no problem :)  Also, if you
> wanted a file sharing service that would work better with a laptop, look
> at Coda instead (at least for home dirs).  Coda has a concept of a
> disconnected mode, and caches locally the most used items that are on
> the share.
>

> --Tim

I'm not looking to have a single home directory, just a place to put
pictures, music, docs that I would want to access from any computer.  The
authentication would be to enable the write access, as anyone else who has
access to the network, I'd like to have read only access.  That basically
sums up my end goal.  Oh, and to not have the laptop choke on boot when I'm
not at home and it cannot find the share.