[CentOS] Isolinux disk error 20; AX=4280, drive EF

Sun Aug 3 22:16:10 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 12:50 -0400, Ed Westphal wrote:
> Hello William;
>
>     Are you thinking BIOS update for the motherboard or for the DVD
> drive, or both? The motherboard has Intel's latest and greatest. The

Both. On CD and DVD drives, I've always checked for updated BIOSs.

>  DVD drive I'm not so sure of. It's been awhile since I looked at it's
> status vis-a-vis bios versions. I've not found bios updaters under
> Linux. Windows, yes; Linux no. I could remove the drive, put it into

I use one of the free DOS versions on a floppy to do it. They say
"Windows" because most of the great unwashed masses don't realize that
Windows is still DOS based. The rest is marketing glitz and glimmer from
MS with the real value provided by third party folks - drivers, etc.

> the XP box and check it's version that way? Don't you think it may be
> easier to try the CD set instead? They're about $7.95. The DVD was

Sure.

>  $4.95 with $5 shipping. RHEL 3 installed easily that way, back in the
> day. It took 9 CD's at the time. CentOS comes on 6. What do you think?
> I thought it would be easier to use a single DVD, not envisioning it
> might be a problem. Dumb me.

Well, my 5.2 is on a box I built a couple years ago, EPOX 8KRAIPRO with
a LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S that's about 1.5 years old (IIRC). I burned
the DVD and installed from it w/o problem though. I would think newer
equipment should have no problem if installation, drive and media are
good.

--
Bill