[CentOS] File system goes read-only once in a while

Mon Aug 4 09:01:51 UTC 2008
Mufit Eribol <hme at onart.com.tr>

NiftyClusters Mitch wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 1:43 PM, William L. Maltby
> <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:

> ..... that you would correctly try to
>
>> fsck the *device*.
>>

> First backup data...
> It is possible to run "fsck" with a media test flag.  Bad blocks are
> assigned to
> dummy files.   Inadvertently  reading one of these files can take a
> drive off line.
>
> One reason a device will go off line is the presence of a media error,
> or the presence of a situation assumed by "smartd" to be a pending
> data risk.....
> Understanding the root cause error should be done.  Smartd tends to be cautious
> but does identify pending problems.
>
> One puzzle can be the loss of log file data.  It is sometimes possible
> to see events
> on a live system that later vanish after a reboot because buffers are
> live in memory but not
> on the disk.  Sending logs to another 'log system' can be helpful and
> is a good idea
> on production systems for exactly this reason
I copied /mnt/raid/var to /new_var using tar as explained in Toby's
message. Changed the link var to /new_var. After reboot, it was possible
to umount /mnt/raid and fsck. All the errors were corrected. Everything
works perfect now.

I appreciate all who shared his experience, knowledge and advised me on
this thread.

Thank you.
Mufit