[CentOS] Questions on cpu frequency scaling AMD vs. Intel

Mon Aug 4 17:08:03 UTC 2008
S.Tindall <tindall.satwth at brandxmail.com>

On Monday, August 04, 2008 at 5:08 AM, Kai Schaetzl wrote:

> ...The older one is a 3800+ EE and the newer one is a 4850e
> which I bought right after it became available. Unless rev. G
> and up are only quad core CPUs at least the latter 45nm one
> should be rev G or up, too. But I can't find a definitive list,
> shouldn't there be one on the AMD site?

You can look up the processor revision/stepping here:

  http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUFilter.aspx

You can search by model number, etc. on the left side or more
specifically by the cpu OPN (e.g., ADO4600CUBOX) on the right
side.

If you select steppings G1/G2 and then pull down the model list,
you can see the range of processors in each stepping.  I don't
think any of them are quad/triple cores.

Searching the "3800+" and knowing it is 65 watts (EE) shows
either an F2 or F3.  Likewise, the "4850e" is a G2.

Checking the cpuinfo on systems using a 4850e (G2) and a 4600+ EE
(F2) both give "cpu family: 15", so they have included the Gs in
the excluded group, too.

Steve