[CentOS] rsync question

Tue Aug 5 06:06:57 UTC 2008
MJT <centos at mjt1.com>

On Monday 04 August 2008 11:35:18 pm Mag Gam wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to understand the purpose of rsyncd. Why does it exist?
> Why not just use rsync ad-hoc or via script?

This is explained in the rsync documentation, read the man page for more info.
You either need to use rsync with a remote shell such as rsh (boo, hiss) or
ssh (yeah), or you need to use rsyncd and rsyncd.conf. Ultimately you will
need something to connect to, be it sshd, rsyncd or what ever.

> Also, to a more serious note. I need to keep a filesystem on 1 server
> and another server synced by.
> What is the best way to do this? I want to have /source and /target to
> be exactly the same. I don't want any extra files in /target. I want
> the timestamps to be the exact same in /target. Does anyone have a
> good rsync arguments I can use? I have been using -avzl but I was
> wondering if there was anything better.

Do you want everything mirrored exactly all the time (real time)? If so, your
best bet may be to rely on whatever your application can provide. Using
rsync, the "target" will almost certainly lag behind the "source",

Could you be more specific with what you are trying to do?