[CentOS] OT: Digital Video Editor for CentOS 5.2 - Suggestions?

Wed Aug 6 03:47:09 UTC 2008
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:
>> Akemi Yagi wrote:
>>>
>>> I have been using kino to import from our miniDV camcorder and do some
>>> simple editing -- but all on FC6.  As I wrote in my post earlier in
>>> this thread, I have been unable to do this on CentOS 5.  Were you able
>>> to get kino to recognize the firewire port ?  If so, would you mind
>>> sharing your experience in this forum thread?
>>>
>>> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=14858&forum=45
>>
>> I don't use CentOS on workstations and laptops, only on servers. :-)
>>
>> Sounds like the FireWire stack (kernel + libraries) in CentOS is seriously
>> broken. In the past, I used to have minor issues with FireWire under old
>> Fedora versions (like, FC3 or so), but all that stuff could be fixed by
>> manually loading a module or creating a /dev node. Looks like that's not the
>> case on CentOS. :-(
>>
>> Under these circumstances, I would avoid using CentOS on systems where I
>> need to transfer video over FireWire, and it all needs to function without
>> headaches.
>>
>> It may start working with a different kernel and/or a different libraw1394.
>
> After we get the camcorder and a PCI Firewire card, I will try this in
> CentOS 5.2 and let you know if it works on our HW.
> Possibly it has to do with the HW Akemi is using, but, probably not,
> because it works there on FC6. Probably you are correct that
> something is broken in CentOS for Firewire.

I almost forgot to tell you that firewire support is disabled in the
distro kernel.  This is upstream's decision.  Fortunately, we have
centosplus kernel which has firewire enabled.  This is briefly
mentioned in the forum thread I referred to.

Akemi