[CentOS] CentOS 5.2 -- how do I choose a wireless network?

Wed Aug 6 16:57:08 UTC 2008
MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com>

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 3:57 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> WRT wireless on CentOS, use NetworkManager to find and connect to networks
>
> You can see if it is installed with the command:
>
> rpm -qa | egrep "NetworkManager|wpa_supplicant"
>
> If installed, the output is similar to this:
>
> NetworkManager-0.6.4-8.el5
> NetworkManager-glib-0.6.4-8.el5
> NetworkManager-gnome-0.6.4-8.el5
> wpa_supplicant-0.4.8-10.2.el5
>
> If not, install with thsi command:
>
> yum install NetworkManger\* wpa_supplicant
>
> The run NetworkManager from the command line.
>
> You will see a NetworkManager applet beside the clock and you should be able
> to click it and pick a network.
>
> Here are more details for how to setup NetworkManager:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/NetworkManager

The OP was wondering if this was possible from the live CD - I'm
wondering if installing a (missing?) package is the right solution in
/that/ case.

For (normal) CentOS, I have used a USB plugin wireless adapter on my
laptop with excellent success, although it is not as easy as (okay, I
won't name that other excuse for an OS) 1-2-3 - it takes some looking
to find the whole enchilada, but it /is/ find-able.

mhr