[CentOS] OT: Digital Video Editor for CentOS 5.2 - Suggestions?

Wed Aug 6 18:33:39 UTC 2008
Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org>

John R Pierce wrote:

> bad news is, you really should have a separate drive just for video
> capture to reduce disk contention as the streaming rate of the capture
> can't be interrupted.   its only around 3MB/sec, so its not /that/  bad
> with today's faster drives, but still.

Well, it depends. If you're just browsing and reading email, a separate
drive is really quite unnecessary. I got away with a single drive for
everything, I just bumped up the buffers in dvgrab to like 200 frames or
so (about 7 seconds for NTSC) and everything was fine.

dvgrab will tell you if it drops frames. If it does, you know you have
to either:
- increase the buffer even more
- stop messing around with the system
- should the previous fail, then get a dedicated drive

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/