[CentOS] can't access irc server on xen domU, please help

Sun Aug 10 12:11:06 UTC 2008
rudiahlers at gmail.com <rudiahlers at gmail.com>

On 8/10/08, Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com> wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers wrote on Sun, 10 Aug 2008 08:41:55 +0200:
>
>> The only open ports are:
>> PORT     STATE  SERVICE
>> 80/tcp   open   http
>> 443/tcp  closed https
>> 7001/tcp closed afs3-callback
>> 8000/tcp closed http-alt
>> 8080/tcp closed http-proxy
>> 8081/tcp closed blackice-icecap
>
> Compare that with your lists above. It doesn't fit at all, e.g. there is
> no https on your other lists. Looks very much like a dns or IP address
> problem - the latter test is not against the same target although you
> think it is.
>
> Kai
>
> --
Hi Kai,

I have noticed that as well, but don't quite know what todo with it.

Running nmap against the VPS, from my home PC, I get the following:

Not shown: 1661 filtered ports
PORT     STATE  SERVICE
21/tcp   closed ftp
22/tcp   open   ssh
25/tcp   closed smtp
53/tcp   closed domain
80/tcp   open   http
110/tcp  closed pop3
143/tcp  closed imap
161/tcp  closed snmp
222/tcp  closed rsh-spx
443/tcp  closed https
873/tcp  closed rsync
3306/tcp closed mysql
3389/tcp closed ms-term-serv
8000/tcp closed http-alt
8080/tcp closed http-proxy
8081/tcp closed blackice-icecap
9991/tcp closed issa
9992/tcp closed issc
9999/tcp closed abyss

Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 47.591 seconds

Running nmap against the same IP, from the master the XEN server, I
get the following:

Not shown: 1691 filtered ports
PORT     STATE  SERVICE
80/tcp   open   http
443/tcp  closed https
7001/tcp closed afs3-callback
8000/tcp closed http-alt
8080/tcp closed http-proxy
8081/tcp closed blackice-icecap

So, how do you explain this one?

The Xen server is in a different subnet from the Xen domU, but I don't
think that would make a difference right?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers