[CentOS] conntrack-tools and Session syncing

Sun Aug 10 14:04:37 UTC 2008
Robert Spangler <mlists at zoominternet.net>

On Sunday 10 August 2008 08:36, Dirk H. Schulz wrote:

>  That works as expected. If e.g. I ping from an inside server to somewhere
>  outside, ICMP request leaves via router2, the answer comes back via
>  router1. conntrack -e on router1 shows this session (as unreplied), BUT
> the firewall blocks it as new connection - that means iptables does not
> recognize conntrackd's addition to the session table.

First off if you have traffic leaving one router and coming back on another
router that is Asynchronous routing and is not a good thing, as you are
seeing.

Firewall 1 doesn't know what firewall 2 is doing so firewall 1 is going to
block this traffic as it was setup to do.  Firewall 1 is thinking this is a
new connection.

Since I don't know your setup my question is;

1. how many Internet connections do you have?
2. does router 2 have a valid public ip on the interface connecting to the
Internet?

--

Regards
Robert