[CentOS] gcc editor for newbie (Emacs or vim or ?)

Sun Aug 10 23:43:15 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 15:40 -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 3:11 PM, Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> wrote:
> > On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 17:04:16 -0500
> > Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Should I try to learn
> >> vi (Vim) (which obviously will help me, if I ever need to
> >> administer a remote box)  or install Emacs or something else,
> >> for the gcc editor?

These two usually result in religious wars. Emacs is *very* powerful and
customizable and extensible. Probably makes the learning curve longer.
But it already has definitions for several languages. Vim also has some.

I never used emacs much as I already had a "cake walk" into vi (now vim)
because it uses a lot of what you find in regex, which I was intimately
familiar with, from heavy "ed" usage before vim was a gleam in someone's
eye.

If you already have some familiarity with regex (grep, sed, et al),
you'll probably find vim faster to learn.

Then I would suggest that. Otherwise, take a quick browse of the man
pages for both, pick one or the other and use it (almost) exclusively.
You'll quickly become competent if you use it a lot and take brief reads
of succeeding sections in the man pages or tutorials.

--
Bill