[CentOS] gcc editor for newbie (Emacs or vim or ?)

Mon Aug 11 21:04:02 UTC 2008
Kuang-Chun Cheng <kcc1967 at gmail.com>

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 6:40 AM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 3:11 PM, Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 17:04:16 -0500
>> Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Should I try to learn
>>> vi (Vim) (which obviously will help me, if I ever need to
>>> administer a remote box)  or install Emacs or something else,
>>> for the gcc editor?
>>
>> That's the sort of question where, if you ask ten people for their opinion, you
>> will get sixteen different answers.  At least.
>>
>> I personally use either vi or nedit, depending on what the current
>> environment is and what I'm trying to accomplish.
>
> OK, I'm the second of the sixteen answers.  I use vi and elvis (GUI
> editor 100% compatible with vi).  I highly recommend you learn vi.
> You will never regret  :-D

I also recommend you learn vi.  There are one reason which is not vi
related and I want to point it out here.

People using vi usually work on terminal ... if your are Linux or
Win32/MinGW+MSYS
user ... you are probably using 'bash'.  The 'bash' has a edit mode
called vi mode
which allow you to edit command history via vi's search command '/' or '?'.

If you are using terminal command a lot ... this feature is your
friend.  It's a lot
of better than using arrow key to fetch back the command history.

So, learn vi ... and you can share the same command when using terminal/bash.

Regards
KC