[CentOS] Re: gcc editor for newbie (Emacs or vim or ?)

Tue Aug 12 18:50:41 UTC 2008
Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net>

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 11:25:50 -0700
Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:

> Frank Cox wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 10:48:10 -0700
> > Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:
> >
> >> It's an awful editor. I wish I could hire the person who came up with
> >> the user interface, only to have the satisfaction of having him/her
> >> fired five minutes later. With no severance package.
> >
> > Viewed in the context of the time when it was originally created, it's a work
> > of genius.  There's a reason why it became the default text editor on Unix
> > systems.
>
> I don't deny that.

You did above.  Bill Joy invented vi, by the way.  You might want to read about
his accomplishments sometime.

> Interlaced video, at the time it was invented, was a great idea. Now
> it's a huge harassment for anyone doing video processing.

Interlaced video is very useful to "extend" the apparent bandwidth of an analog
video stream, and that's useful in many applications, both today and tomorrow.
Remember, everything doesn't revolve around the television in your living
room and the monitor on your desk.

> The steam
> engine was a huge step forward - a few hundred years ago. And look at it
> now.

In view of the fact that a nuclear reactor is basically a big steam engine, I
fail to see your point....