[CentOS] wireless laptop configuration

Thu Aug 14 15:14:37 UTC 2008

Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 5:14 AM, Kevin Kimani <kevinkimani at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I have a wireless network but no wired network. I need to access the net for
>> the necessary installation of the wireless drivers in CentOS 5.1. Could
>> anyone let me know how i can go about it!! My card is Intel PRO/Wireless
>> 3945
>>

> The instructions on this page worked on a laptop with 3945ABG:
>
> http://www.distrostop.org/forums/index.php/topic,5694.0.html
>
> Note that you will need the centosplus kernel.
I have the 3945 and use dkms drivers from rpmforge. No kernel mods needed.

Install dkms from rpmforge:

dkms-2.0.20.2-2.el5.rf.noarch.rpm

and get the 3945 rpms there too:

ipw3945-firmware-1.14.2-1.nodist.rf.noarch.rpm
ipw3945d-1.7.22-4.nodist.rf.i386.rpm

After installing things tend to just work. Here is my modprobe.conf lines:

alias eth1 ipw3945
install ipw3945 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ipw3945 ; sleep 0.5 ;
/sbin/ipw3945d --quiet
remove ipw3945 /sbin/ipw3945d --kill ;/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove
ipw3945

Don't know what that means, but.....

I thought you were just asking how to get the system connected to the
net so you could get the drivers, thus my earlier recommendation on the
WET11..