[CentOS] wireless laptop configuration

Tue Aug 19 13:27:59 UTC 2008
Sorin Srbu <sorin.srbu at gmail.com>

From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf
Of Toshaan Bharvani
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:42 PM
To: centos at centos.org
Subject: Re: [CentOS] wireless laptop configuration

Steve Huff wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2008, at 5:04 AM, Sorin at Gmail wrote:
>
>> I'm using a 3Com 3CRWE154G72 IIRC, which according to the hwconf's using
the
>> prism54 driver/firmware/whatever.
>>
>> Would I maybe be better off reinstalling the whole shebang and have the
>> wifi-card inserted from start in order for the centos installer to
>> see it
>> properly from the beginning?
>

> before you do that, open a terminal, become root, and run
> /usr/sbin/kudzu (while the wireless card is installed). that's the
> program that does hardware detection; it may be able to sort out your
> issue.
>
> -steve

or if kudzu for some reason doesn't cooperate (which is always on my system)
become root
run : /sbin/modprobe prism54
run : dmesg | tail
and read whether it just says it has loaded the module (single line) or
detected will output a wlanX statement and you are in business

Isn't it implied that since "prism54" is listed in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf for
the wifi-card that the module has been loaded already? Or is this some of the
magical stuff that sometimes doesn't happen for whatever reason? 8-)