[CentOS] Best way to migrate a server?

Wed Aug 20 13:19:07 UTC 2008
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Kevin Thorpe wrote:
> I was just wondering what recommendations you have on migrating a CentOS
> 5 install between servers?
>
> I've done similar in the past by setting up a minimal install in the new
> server, use tar to copy over the old install and reboot. I was thinking
> of rsync this time.
>
> Is that an acceptable thing to do or have I missed something important?

If they are identical at least in terms of disk controllers and size and
you have space on the network to hold a compressed image copy,
clonezilla-live is probably the easiest way to do it:
http://www.clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live/

If the disk controllers or sizes are different, you'll have to at least
generate a new initrd image. Doing a new install might be the easiest
way, but when you copy the old system over you need to be sure that they
are updated to the same kernel and keep the contents of your new /boot
and a few other files (/etc/fstab, /etc/modprobe.conf, etc.).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com