[CentOS] Re: Disk quotas for Sendmail

Thu Aug 21 17:01:18 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 8-21-2008 4:10 AM Jussi Hirvi spake the following:
>> On 8/21/08, Jussi Hirvi <greenspot-i5Z6UQdXNTIES5aQMQQu3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> CentOS 5.x, Sendmail 8.13.8. <http://8.13.8.>
>> I would like to start using disk quotas on my Sendmail server, and optimally
>> they should be configurable by user or group. How can this be done? (I tried
>> to google, but no success.)
>
> Rudi Ahlers (rudiahlers at gmail.com) kirjoitteli (21.8.2008 13:55):
>> If each user's mail is stored in his homefolder, then you just need to enable
>> user quotas :) man quota & man mtab for the options
>
> Hei,
>
> The mail is not stored in home folders but in /var/spool/mail. I would
> rather keep it that way - and I'm not sure if storing mail in home folders
> would work for procmail (Sendmail's local mailer), dovecot (pop server) etc.
>
> - Jussi

You can make /var/spool/mail a separate mounted partition, and set user and
group quotas on that mount and it should work. It might work with it not being
a separate partition, but that would be up to you to test.

But you can have other problems if you set the warning and maximum levels too
close. If a message comes in and makes the quota go over the maximum and the
warning level at the same time, the system won't be able to give the users any
warning message as their quota will be over and will block the warning message.

You can set procmail to store the messages in other folders, and also set it
to deliver to Maildir storage by fiddling with (or creating) an
/etc/procmailrc file.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and