[CentOS] Re: OT - Offline uncorrectable sectors

Fri Aug 22 16:59:03 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 8-22-2008 9:07 AM Lorenzo Quatrini spake the following:
> nate ha scritto:
>> Lorenzo Quatrini wrote:
>>> I have few disk that have offline uncorrectables sectors;
>> Ideally it should be done using the manufacturer's tools,
>> and really any disk that has even one bad sector that the OS
>> can see should not be relied upon, it should be considered a
>> failed disk. Disks automatically keep spare sectors that the
>> operating system cannot see and re-maps bad sectors to them,
>> if your seeing bad sectors that means that collection of
>> spares has been exhausted. I've never seen a disk manufacturer
>> not accept a disk that had bad sectors on it (that was still
>> under warranty) in as long as I can remember..
>>
>> nate
>>
> For what I understand Offline uncorrectable means that the sector would be
> relocated the next time it is accessed for writing... so it is on a "wait for
> relocation" status.
> I don't know of any other way to force this relocation other tha actually
> writing over the sector (a simple read doesn't trigger the relocation)...
>
> And yes, I know that a disk with bad blocks isn't reliable, but you remember?
> I'm too lazy to send my home disks back to the manufacturer ;)

Then I hope you are not too lazy to do some proper backups!
Sending a disk back to be replaced is a lot less work then recovering a failed
array when the disk tanks. How much is your data worth?
I know by experience that a 6 drive raid 5 array can run near $10,000 US to
recover.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and