[CentOS] Re: Is there a way to save the routing table permanently?

Fri Aug 22 18:51:45 UTC 2008
Rob Townley <rob.townley at gmail.com>

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 12:12 PM, RobertH <roberth at abbacomm.net> wrote:

> Hasn't this been hashed over several times in the past year to the same end
> result?
>
> :-)
>
> It appeared to me the original issue (this time) was being able to do
> primary and secondary dns on one box with different ip addresses because
> the
> registrar needed two different ip addresses when registering a domain.

Actually, the original issue was system-config-network not keeping static IP
information (IP, SM, NS, GW) or at least not throwing a warning.  I guess i
made it digress.

> If you must do it at home and you cannot get this solution to work as you
> expect, get a routed subnet on one side.

i can think of many meanings for a "routed subnet" - is it something you buy
from your ISP?

> or
>
> ...better yet, since both links appear to be residential, ask a buddy with
> colo for for access and make it the primary dns and pull secondary on your
> residential, or get a VPS server or two, or something else...

Actually, it is commercial cable and doable by other systems, so i am not
giving up.  i am going to start with studying "ip rules" as opposed to "ip
routes".  When the same IP configuration is on a laptop connected to both
wireless and Cat5 wired behind two different firewalls, they do not have
this problem.  Granted, these usually use dynamic connections and are not
providing critical services, but it works.  Why not for static
configurations and why doesn't system-config-network at least throw an
warning.