[CentOS] how can I get the kernel source codes of CentOS5.2

Tue Aug 26 20:41:26 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 13:10 -0700, MHR wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Well... if you go for the fuse/dkms route, you will lose the chance to
> > build the module upon kernel update. :-)
> >

> True - decisions, decisions,....

Well you can always do what I did a few years back. "In days of yore,
long ago" I had a LAN using some coax and ethernet cards leftover from
my early Lantastic installation. Cards were a mixed bag Including some
IBM ones that had both RJ-45 and BNC ports. At the time the drivers (for
Crystal chips) had no support for the BNC ports and didn't allow use of
all the chipset features.

I jumped in to the source and I WAS AGHAST! It was the crappiest, least
structured, most obfuscated mess I had ever seen.

Falling back to my former life, I hollered "REWRITE, YES" (accompanied
by rapid pumping of right fist upon slightly bent knee!  :-))

So I went to the web site, downloaded the docs, learned how it was
supposed to work and started re-work. I didn't do the whole job, but
annotated and restructured the parts I had to touch.

I then maintained it of many version of the kernel and driver.

Since I was doing LFS at the time, it sometimes got interesting.

But it did keep my in practice building kernels, modules and making
patches.

Maybe that's a possibility for you? A nice side-effect is being able to
help occasionally when some poses a question about what you been working
on. For me, a lot of satisfaction came when I was able to help the LFS
list users when they had networking problems - "peripheral learning
effect".

--
Bill