[CentOS] problem with slave dns servers

Thu Aug 28 22:27:31 UTC 2008
Robert Spangler <mlists at zoominternet.net>

On Thursday 28 August 2008 05:50, Mark Quitoriano wrote:

>  hmmm... yeah i think is et everything to 300 which is not good. What
>  is the recommended TTL settings? some sites recommend 4 days some 1
>  hour.
>

>  On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 3:17 PM, Michel van Deventer
>
>  <michel at van.deventer.cx> wrote:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > what is the TTL of your DNS records ? After TTL expires, the slaves
>  > don't respond to queries either, because the records aren't valid
>  > anymore. If your primary is down longer than the TTL of your DNS records
>  > you could reconfigure one of the slaves as a new primary or maybe
>  > consider making more than 1 primary.
>  >
>  > On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 09:01 +0200, Romeo Ninov wrote:
>  > > Have you describe all the slave servers in you domain configuration
>  > > (in registrant)?
>  > >
>  > > Mark Quitoriano  wrote / napísal(a):
>  > > > Hi,
>  > > >
>  > > > I have 4 bind9 dns installed on centos 4. My primary dns server went
>  > > > down and all of my domains doesn't resolve even if the 3 slave dns
>  > > > is up and running. Im not sure where to configure this is it in my
>  > > > domain registration or in bind?

It is not your TTL values that is the problem it is the EXPIRE value.

TTL is used for the caching of the information and tells the cache when to
remove the information.

EXPIRE is the value that tell the slave how long the information it the zone
file is good for when the master cannot be reached.

Leave your TTL at 300 (5 min) and change the EXPIRE value to something like a
week or more.

--

Regards
Robert