[CentOS] Using CentOS 5 as server; best way to setup NFSv4?

Sat Aug 2 00:22:01 UTC 2008
Timothy Selivanow <timothy.selivanow at virtualxistenz.com>

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 20:04 -0400, Ryan Dunn wrote:

> If I were to use LDAP, what would happen if I tried to use the laptop
> in the absence of the server?  Is a local copy stored, ala how my work
> windows network works?

If you have nscd (Name Services Caching Daemon) enabled, yes.  However,
that will only cache the UID/GID lookups, and not authentication.  If
you are using local authentication, then no problem :)  Also, if you
wanted a file sharing service that would work better with a laptop, look
at Coda instead (at least for home dirs).  Coda has a concept of a
disconnected mode, and caches locally the most used items that are on
the share.

--Tim