[CentOS] Help setting up external drive via Firewire

Fri Aug 15 00:56:14 UTC 2008
Filipe Brandenburger <filbranden at gmail.com>

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 18:43, Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com> wrote:
> My experience with Firewire has not been all that good.  I figured that
> since Apple had been using it for years, and it is an IEEE standard, that
> Firewire would be more reliable than USB.  I was also a bit wary as the USB
> disk drivers on SuSE gave warning messages saying they might not be very
> reliable.

Same here. I just migrated our backups from Firewire 800 to USB2,
because the Firewire was causing us a kernel crash per week and we
were having to reboot our server because of the backup drives. This on
three different machines, one running SuSE 10 and two others with
CentOS 5 with the centosplus kernel.

The situation got out of control one month ago, when we had one
machine with 3 crashes on the same week. I migrated its backup to
USB2, and I've been running stable ever since. Firewire never again.

We bought an eSATA drive and and eSATA external card, but we still
haven't put it to work. Eventually I plan to move to eSATA to get more
speed, but meanwhile, I'll stick with USB2, whose performance is not
spectacular, but enough for my backups for now.

HTH,
Filipe