[CentOS] Bonding and network cards

Ralph Angenendt ra+centos at br-online.de
Mon Dec 1 11:44:03 UTC 2008

David Hrbáč wrote:
> Hi,
> I have been playing this weekend with bonding on PCI netcards and found
> that all of netcards I have, but old 3com, do not support MII. So
> bonding is not going to happen with them. Do you have some pci netcards
> supporting MII successfully running on bonging?

That is strange. But you shouldn't be needing mii, use_carrier should be
working with modern cards - if they come up at once.

I have bonding on 2 Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-T where the
card takes so long to come up that the bonding driver assumes the wrong
link mode (100baseT instead of 1000baseT).

But those cards do work with miimon (which uses miitool and/or ethtool).

Cheers,

Ralph