[CentOS] does anyone have experience with clusters?

Rudi Ahlers rudiahlers at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 13:35:45 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Tom Brown <tom at ng23.net> wrote:

>> Yes, the idea is to run a XEN farm. Each VPS will have it own set of
>> sofware running, from Windows to Linux, with SQL / Web / Email / etc.
>>
>> With regards to load balancing, I need it so that the total load of
>> all the XEN VPS's can be spread out among the XEN servers, almost like
>> a super computer. How will I do this?
>>

> depends on how much of your own effort you want to put in getting this
> running - it might be that Xen Enterprise is something that would
> benefit you more. It can be done with other tools but if you want VM's
> to magically start working over >> there when the host here << dies then
> i think you need to look at a commercial product. I dont like Xen
> Enterprise and never will but if you want to use Xen then you may have
> to go that route. You could make it so that disk images are on shred
> storage and so recovery to a different dom0 is short but if you want
> seamless then i think you'll have to pay $$

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the input. Let's forget about XEN for a moment, I was
actually looking at setting up a cluster which has fail-over & load
balancing capabilities, regardless of what runs on it. If XEN
enterprise is the only option,then I'm not going to bother. I don't
see why I need to pay for a tool which has a helpdesk and
"professional technicians standing by" to help me when I get stuck, if
XEN can do the same.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers