[CentOS] Yum upgrade inside firewall

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Wed Dec 3 17:33:30 UTC 2008

mcclnx mcc wrote:
> We have several CENTOS 4.X which inside Firewall.  I can NOT run "yum"
> inside firewall to upgrade O.S. to new release.
> Does there has way I can download all RPM to otherside firewall server then
> transfer those files into servers inside firewall and upgrade.
> Anyone have procedure dicuments or website can be reference?

establish a mirror using rsync, this is what I run for CentOS 5.x

rsync -av --delete rsync://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5/updates/x86_64/
rsync -av --delete rsync://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5/updates/i386/

replace 5 with 4 to get CentOS 4.x

Then put those files on a system which your systems can access and
point yum to it. In my case an example would be to put this in your
yum config and disable all other external repositories

name=CentOS-$releasever - Updates

# this one specific to centos 5.1 32-bit
name=CentOS-$releasever - Base