[CentOS] does anyone have experience with clusters?

Laurence Liew lliew at osgdc.org
Thu Dec 4 02:48:21 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have a tutorial on HPC 101.. check it out at

http://www.hpccommunity.org/f55/kusu-101-what-beowulf-cluster-computing-table-contents-234/

It should give you an understanding of HPC.

As for 1 huge disk and plenty of RAM

- huge disk - you will need a cluster filesystem.. you may wish to
check out PVFS2

- for RAM - shared memory across multiple nodes using commodity
hardware and software (distributed shared memory DSM type software)
will work.. but latency will be the biggest problem you will face...
good for academic exercise, but in the real world, such shared memory
systems are built with proprietary high speed interconnects such as
Quadrics or Infiniband...

Hope this helps.

-- Laurence
Kusu - HPC Management Simplified