[CentOS] New to Centos and have question about updating packages

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sun Dec 7 19:49:48 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-12-07 at 12:21 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> <snip>

> >  Now my question is what are the commands for Centos to fetch ,update
> > and install, all the packages installed on the server. I would like to
> > use Yum. Any help would be great.
>
> "yum update" will do it for you. Normally, you will not need to reboot
> after updating, unless you update the kernel or several other packages
> that require a reboot.

Also, if a package that is currently running has been updated, or that
package is currently using a package which has been updated and you want
the currently running things to start using the new stuff _now_, you'll
want to restart those packages. Until those packages end, disk space and
ram memory is not finally freed.

Sometimes it is hard to tell if that situation exists and a re-boot is
just faster and certainly simpler than identifying, stopping, starting
tons of stuff.

Often, in a desktop environment, just a telnet 3, telnet 5 command
sequence will get most of that done. Faster than reboot, takes care of
desktop related stuff without the manual investigate, kill, start steps.

--
Bill