[CentOS] Strange error on login: $HOME/.dmrc?

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Mon Dec 8 06:05:57 UTC 2008

Niki Kovacs a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Since this morning, when I login, GDM gives me an error message on login
> (it's in french, so I try to translate roughly):
>
> $HOME/.dmrc has been ignored, but it is responsible for saving sessions.
> It should not be writable for other users, and permissions should be 644.
>
> Now I had a look at this ~/.dmrc, and permissions were rw-------. So I
> did a chmod 644 on it (rw-r--r--) and logged back out... but the problem
> still persists. I'm puzzled.
>
> Any suggestions?

I'll answer this myself, as I just found the solution. Suddenly my
user's home directory went from 700 to 777. I chmodded it back to 700,
and now everything seems alright. I had a power outage this night, and I
have no other explanation that my home directory mysteriously changed
permissions.

Go figure.