[CentOS] New rpm, same name, how to update

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Dec 8 18:38:51 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>

>>> If you can build the RPM, you do have access to the spec file.  If
>>> you're building directly from a .src.rpm with rpmbuild, it's embedded in
>>> the .src.rpm making things a little tougher.  Best is if you're building
>>> from some kind of source tree and so have the .spec file right there.
>>>

>> I am building from some kind of source tree, so I await the developers
>> help. But you here have given me some direction to push them to 'do the
>> right thing'.
>>

> Are you just moving ahead in the upstream development?  If so, just
> using appropriate version numbering should do the right thing.

Upstream development? DOn't quite get the reference.

The developers showed me where the spec file is and I have changed the
release entry to append the current patch number. Will see how that goes...

>> I am the first one on this project that is installing the code on a
>> number of systems, many of which are a little anemic (www.oqo.com) for
>> doing compiles on a daily basis. And generally want to move usage to a
>> more production framework.
>>

> If you have a bunch of machines you probably want to set up your own yum
> repository for subsequent updates and build an rpm to install the repo
> url and its GPG key.

Basically what I am doing.

>>> These are rpm options, not yum options:
>>>
>>> 	rpm -Uvh --replacepkgs my-custom-thing-1.0-1.i386.rpm
>>>
>> oh. of course. So now I install the downloadonly yum plugin....
>>

> That should be the first thing anyone does if they need to baby-sit
> updates or reboot at appropriate times anyway, but if the version
> numbers are bumped the files should update in a normal yum run.

Trying to get things to work normally in yum, so I can make this more
'globally' available.