[CentOS] Web Filter

Benjamin Smith lists at benjamindsmith.com
Tue Dec 9 09:40:30 UTC 2008

Dunno if you are already happy with this subject, but I've used DansGuardian
for a number of prominent school districts in California with very good
success. It's cheap, highly reliable, and a single, reasonably well-equiped
P4 can *easily* run as a proxy for hundreds or thousands of students! (CentOS
4, 1 GB RAM, 100 GB HDD, random P4 or Athlon processor)

I've always bought the CHEAPEST computer possible at the local "big-box
retailer" and never noticed a load average high enough to even measure
consistently. EG: over 0.50...

DG rox!

At first, I had to tweak the filter rules for a few weeks until I had
something I was happy with, but recently the defaults have become good enough
that I wouldn't bother - just roll it out.

Good luck!

On Friday 05 December 2008 10:54:02 am Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> I have a location using a CentOS 5 server that's multihomed running
> Asterisk and iptables for internal web access.
>
> Recently some sales people got busted surfing some explicit content so the
> owner wants something in there to block this.
>
> I had heard of Dans Guardian and am reading about what's involved here but
> just wanted an opinion on what's the best solution for this. NTLM silent
> auth would be an asset, but the lan is simple and the owner doesn't need
> granular control if it would be complicated.
>
> What are you guys using with good results?/
> Thanks?
> jlc
>
> --
> believed to be clean.