[CentOS] Logwatch - Dovecot logs

Mohan mk at nerdplanet.co.uk
Tue Dec 9 12:10:43 UTC 2008

Hi ,

dovecot doesnt log anything to /var/log/secure. its a default centos 4.4
installation. All dovecot messages are logged to /var/log/messages.

I tried connecting to the port 110 via telnet directly and typed user
<random name>  and pass <random pass> if the username exist it shows
authentication failure in the log and report user=root for eg if i try
as root. but if i try some username like idontexist in the logs
user=    shows blank. but in both the cases it didnt log the remote host
IP address the rhost=   remains blank.

How to make dovecot to log all connection attempts remote host ip address.

Regards,

Mohan.